The origins of St. Asaph Cricket Club are somewhat obscure but it is recorded in C.B. Cowell's history of Bangor Cricket Club that a match was played between Rhyl and St. Asaph at Foryd in 1864. That being so, the Club can claim a history dating back at least 139 years and probably more. There is evidence to suggest that the Club was founded in around 1862 and, after early problems, was re-established in 1872, largely due to the efforts of a local man, Mr. W.H. Cliff. Local records suggest that the Club played on the present ground and moved to Gwengron field for a period before returning to Elwy Grove Park later on in 1882.
Fortunately the Club has flourished ever since with the only breaks being due to two world wars. Even then the Club was quick to resume 'business as usual' and play commenced just six months after the first world war when membership fees were just 2s.6d. They remained the same until after the second war.
In 1921 the maroon cap bearing the distinctive City arms on the badge was introduced although the Club colour had been introduced in 1883 and is still in use now as they move into the 21st century.
St. Asaph Cricket Club has the distinction of being one of the few totally independent Clubs since making a supreme effort in 1951 to ensure its future use of the ground by purchasing it from the P.R.H.A. ( Peoples Refreshment House Association,) previous owners of The Plough Hotel. Many functions and a great deal of effort went into raising the money to make the purchase of the land. Among the most successful events, and certainly the most memorable, were the pantomimes and comedy shows held in the Church House. Over the years the Club have had many team successes and are justly proud of the recognition of individual players who have won representative honours playing for minor counties, North Wales, Wales and Flintshire.
St.Asaph Cricket Club play in the North Wales League Premier Division and is continuing a proud tradition of encouraging young players. They currently provide coaching and match experience for a growing number of young people and have increasingly successful teams at under 11 years, under 13 years and under l5 years from where players can progress into the Club's 2nd and 1st Xl's.
A new venture for the year 2000 will be an under 9's team. Currently the youngsters enjoy Wednesday evenings and Sunday mornings for their own coaching and practise during the summer months with the youth teams playing matches against other clubs in the district. The Club must be one of the few Clubs in North Wales who have organised a successful overseas tour, for in l990, after several members had enjoyed joining two successful cricket tours to the West Indies with a North Wales touring side, the St. Asaph Club travelled to the far east where a series of games in Singapore and Malaya created sporting links which, in their early days, would have been thought impossible. Currently the Club has its sights set on providing members with a much needed new Club Pavilion and improved facilities. Unfortunately, despite their long record, their reputation for youth training, their independence and the proven need, applications for lottery funding have been unsuccessful but, undaunted, members are looking to the future and to continuing the long sporting tradition on which their reputation has been based from the 19th, through the 20th and into the 21st century!.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT KEN HODGKINSON 01745 582772